Just kicking back and playing with the Cetus (MamaCetus) printer. I had noticed there is now a Mk3 version available that could be modified to run g-code directly from 3rd party slicer sofware. (See previous post.) I have always been able to do that with MamaCetus (indirectly)
Transferring the g-code file from say, SImplify3D to UPStudio is not a hard task. One doesn't see the anamation of the Simplify 3D when printing via USB, but there is also no anamation when using UPStudio.
It had been a while since I ran g-code through UPStudio to MamaCetus. I decided I should get back into the practice as it looks like there is a lot of outside g-code going to be run on the new Cetus.
I remembered my printing results were excellent in the past but things change since then. The UPStudio was updated, as was Simplify3D. I also made bed changes to MamaCetus and nozzle heights would have to be reset in Simplify3D.
The pictures show the printing is as good as ever. It's what I refer as Junque Item printing but that is OK! These cube puzzles were sliced in Simplify3D and fed to MamaCetus via UPStudio. The layer height is 100 microns (0.100 MM) The quality is excellent for FDM printing.
Hard to beat the linear rail/bearing axii quality on MamaCetus.
The design is drawn in FUSION360.
Most quilt makers use Imperial measurement (inch) so I decided the pendant would be a one-inch square (25.4 MM). The drawing was made using the metric scaling as 3D printing is always done in metric.
The bars in the design are 2 MM wide and the pendant is 3 MM thick
The pendant will be cast in Sterling silver. A first example was 3D printed using “MamaCetus”, a Cetus (brand) FDM printer so a prototype could be examined. The loop for the jump ring was a bit too small, so a simple correction was made in the drawing and a second example shown here in green PLA, was printed.
That’s what is nice about having a quickly made example to examine in-hand.
The intention is to resin print a group of six pendants using the DLP Wanhoa D7 printer. Good castable prints have been made on this printer. The nice feature of a DLP printer is it can print six copies in the same time span as printing one. Print time on the D7 should be just over five hours.
This is a test of the printer as well as a silver casting project. The reason for this writeup appearing here in the DPS website. the silver casting process is located here: https://dimensionalart.org/art/index.php/lost-wax/10-lost-wax/66-quilter-s-pendant
Plan “B” is to machine carve the pendants from wax using a 3 axis CNC micro mill. The project goal is to cast silver pendants, not struggle with casting a 3D printed master in an intermediate step. 3D printing is in theory, an excellent way to produce 3D master models for casting. Especially in volume as is shown here.
The issue is not entirely with the printing, but in achieving successful mold burn-out of the resin masters in the casting process.
Results of the Print Session
The first print session was a disaster. Three of the six pendants broke free of the supports. My fault, poor support design. Two of the remaining three were misshapen and ready to fall off. One was usable. This called for a new layout and support design and a reprint.
This triple layout printed very well and all were good for casting use. The Fun-To-Do Castable resin and the printing times are right on in the Wanhao D7. Print time in both examples was 5 hours. The number of Items has no effect on print time, only the print height and number of layers.
I have been 3D printing for several years and currently have four printers. Three are FDM (filament style) printers and the forth is a DLP (UV light/resin) style. I'll be describing more about these machines as I publish more articles.
I employed all three of my FDM printers for this project. To produce this much product in a couple of days was a lot of printing. There are 50 coasters in the pictures, but I printed a few more than that in the last two years.
The smaller, star coasters are not my design. They are similar to the Dallas Cowboys emblem, the reason I printed them. The snowflake coaster is also not my design, but was the inspiration for my design shown here to the right.
My wife Gloria is a "Quilter". If you know one, or like me, are married to one, you know they can have an intense group-society relationship over all things quilted. They gather together and go on Quilt Shop Tours and stage several day "retreats" where they get it (quilts) all put together. It forms a a basic fabric of their society. They have a great time and it leaves then all laughing in stitches. (Had to say that...)
Enough about quilting, but it formed the idea about this project. My wife likes to give away "treats" in the form of some of the things I make. Especially some of my plastic Junque. She asked me to make some more of the Star Coasters, so she could hand them out at her next retreat. Dutifully, I started printing. Then I got the idea that since it is a quilting retreat, the coasters should have a quilting theme.
I cast around a bit, fishing for a design. Trying to think of a simple design for a quilters' coaster. Then I got the strike! It's a basic pattern all quilters know... a square in a square in a square. Gloria recognized it immediately and exclaimed, "They will WANT that one!"
Uh-Oh... Now I have to make a bunch! I designed it in Fusion 360 and the #1 prototype was a bit too fat (thick). Easy fix and I soon had the production version ready for the print run. The outside diameter is 100MM as many folks like to use large oversized cooler mugs these days. A small coaster doesn't cut it. The Star coasters are smaller...
So, all three FDM printers were started and production commenced. Gloria claimed the light blue for herself, but the rest are up for grabs. Please note: Most of the production is setting on... a table quilt.
Here is a link to the quilt_sq_coaster.stl.